Thursday 16 August 2007

Love Burns All Dayer.

This one's probably gonna be a bit vague and patchy coz I'm a bit tired and the old memory aint what it used to be. Hopefully it won't be too lacking in charisma and wit.

Sunday was the Love Burns all dayer at the Jericho Tavern. Music was played and booze was drunk. After agreeing with Helen to work the doors, I turned up about 4 & 1/2 hours after it had started. Oops. Just in time to catch about 1 & 1/2 songs of Untitled 1961. I vaguely remember it sounding like some kind of shambolic yet awesome noise. I definitely want to catch them play a full set sometime.
I took to the doors to relieve Hannah from her duties of money taking and hand stamping. I will say now that Hannah did about twice as much work as me in terms of time and even more in terms of people dealt with, and yet we got paid the same. I would feel bad about this, but then remember that Hannah has a natural advantage over me in that she has great boobs, whereas I have a face that scares children. So I think it all evens out. Not quite sure how though...
Indiana. Didn't like them, but whether that was their fault or not I don't know. There were some technical problems (the monitors stopped working) which clearly phased them a great deal. After 2 songs and a lot of fiddling with equipment, they called it a day.
Whatever was wrong eventually got sorted, and next up were Vestibule. Vestibule are one of those bands who are getting better with time, and their new songs are sounding pretty strong. Looking forward to seeing what happens with them.
Hannah comes back to relieve me. I think she says "I'm leaving", and end up hugging her far more than is appropriate. Very embarrasing.
Danny Saul. I remember seeing Danny Saul before at one of Helen's nights and being very impressed by his set. It's rare that live, one man and a guitar really holds my interest and captures my immagination, but he did, and I was really looking forward to seeing him again. This time he'd brought a whole tabletops worth of effects pedals with him. Now the worry here is that a lesser performer would either become pointlessly pre-occupied with his array of toys and lose what made him so good first time around, or that he doesn't make good use of them and they end up either taking away from what he's trying to do, or just adding nothing and being totally un-necessary. Luckily Danny Saul seems to know exactly what he's doing, adding layers and textures, fleshing out his songs and giving us an experience which is utterly mesmerising. Easily one of the best live sets I've seen this year, Danny Saul is a very special talent indeed. Go and check out his MySpace page ( http://www.myspace.com/dannysaul ) and listen to the songs on there. Especially History, which is truly incredible.
Anyway, enough of the Danny Saul Cream-athon.
Next up were King Furnace. Now, I've written about these guys before. It seems that people have instantly made up their minds about King Furnace, so I'll just say that the guys played a solid King Furnace set, that'll fit in with your opinion of them no matter what that is. I will add though that it was interesting seeing Jefferson's instinct for frontman showmanship at battle with his bass playing duties.
I don't really remember Four Days From August. I think I didn't like them. But me, Bevan & Grundy went to get food at some point and didn't get back until they were finishing. I think. I can't really remember that either I'm afraid. I remember taking over from Hannah on the doors, but I can't remember what Family Machine were like at all, i'm afraid. I think we were too busy textually winding up an ex-colleague to really pay attention.
Mephisto Grande cancelled which was a shame.
Borderville were headlining. Like King Furnace, Borderville are a band who people have already set an opinion of that probably won't change no matter what. In Borderville's case it seems to be based on whether or not you liked Sexy Breakfast. As I have previously said before in the potato farm, I did. Borderville certainly share the theatrics of SB, but the sound is slightly different. For his new band, Joe has seemed to approach what I can only describe as a very English sound. At turns witty, playful, at times quite dark, at all times very well spoken, even grand. All things they share with bands like The Divine Comedy, while not really sounding too much like them. They save their best moment for last. The second half of the final song starts with what seems to be an awesome climax to a song, and then gets extended out into a percussion fest, with all but one member taking to the drums, the other guy handling some electronics. It's a great end to the night, and indeed the day as a whole.

No comments: