Friday 4 April 2008

March Music Summary.

There was so much that I wanted to write about that it became intimidating and then there was too much and so I never did. Here is a selection of very short album reviews that will get rid of some of what I wanted to say, which wasn't all about music, but it's the easiest to get out of the way.

March was a fucking excellent month for albums.

Benga - "Diary Of An Afro Warrior"
Dubstep pioneer comes up trumps with excellent uncompromising album. Sounds like what the BBC wish their drama series about inner city London, that has a name I can't remember but I think it's the beginning of a postcode or something, looked like.

Autechre - "Quaristice"
Machines are raping your ears again, but this time they pause for moments to woo you in the hope you won't report them to the police. Possibly the best Autechre album yet.

Fuck Buttons - "Street Horrrsing"
Kind of like an amazing electro coma. If this is what it sounded like to be in coma, everyone would be getting into them. Su-fucking-perb album.

Elbow - "The Seldom Seen Kid"
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Skip "The Fix" though.

Youthmovies - "Good Nature"
Genius.

Foals - "Antidotes"
The hype machine finally backs the right band. This album gets better every time I hear it. Even when it's twice in a row. So so good.

Young Knives - "Superabundance"
Pop album of the year, surely. "Counters" must be the song of the summer, it just must.

Thee Silver Mt Zion Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - "13 Blues For Thirteen Moons"
Just what you expect. Towering, bleak, miserable, depressing, but stunningly gorgeous epic soundscape songs. This time with added hope at the end. Again, possibly their best so far.

Rod Modell - "Incense & Black Light"
When you're awake at three in the morning and the same things go over and over in your mind, Rod Modell comes along and steals those thoughts, takes them back to his lab and crafts fantastic minimal techno from them. Ace stuff.

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - "You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into..."
Proof that NME doesn't always get it wrong. A band I really wanted to hate turned out to be the band I wanted Hadouken! to be. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Love you lots. xxx

Neon Neon - "Stainless Style"
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!! CRANK THIS RIGHT UP AND DESTROY YOUR BEDROOM DANCING UNCONTROLLABLY TO POSSIBLY THE GREATEST CONCEPT ALBUM EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's most of the march music stuff out of the way. I have also been loving Future Of The Left after seeing them live and then getting the album which is fucking ace, am currently listening to the new Why? album "Alopecia" which is well good, and have been absolutely loving the new Missy Elliott single "Ching-A-Ling" and wondering just how she is not the most popular human on Earth ever.

Oh, and Traktors are mentioned in this weeks NME, which made me smile and really want to do another gig again.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, feels good to get that out of the way. Now I can hopefully get back to proper blogging.

3 comments:

Staz said...

Where did you get this Youthmovies album from? I want to buy it!

schmemma said...

the youthmovies album is indeed genius..i think it might very well be my album of the year..

The Purple Gooroo said...

The Elbow seems pretty great - though it's taking a bit longer than "Leaders Of The Free World" to show it's genius. "Weather To Fly" gets me in the ticker, though and is my "tearjerker tune of the year", so far. I like "The Fix", but then I liked Hawley's record from last year - so I like the Elbow/Hawley combo.

Must get the Youthmovies album - it's on my list. I will buy this one--'cos Mr. Hammond was kind enough to supply me with a free copy of the first one. It's good to support the boys.