Friday 9 March 2007

Axl's Adventures In Circuitry

I couldn't sleep for shit last night. So I was looking on various websites, and got to the old faithful YouTube to find a Sumo clip to put on my MySpace page. After watching a lot of Sumo, in which it became apparent that Asashoryu is some kind of living legend, there was a link to a clip about "Circuit Bending". I clicked on it and found what I've been looking for for so long. People talking about modifying electronic toys to make awesome noise. This is the kind of thing that I wanted to get into but had absolutly no idea how. I sprung into action and looked it up on tinternet. Turns out that getting started is pretty easy. So today it was off to the charity shops for me, and Age Concern had a perfect little childrens toy keyboard for me to start on. After a lot of dicking around with no results, I nearly gave up, but one last try came up trumps with a noise that sparked my desire back into life, and on I continued. Ok, so about 2 hours later, I'd only really found about 2 or 3 different sounds, but I'm pretty fucking excited. When I really get into it, I plan to cause havoc.

Other than that, it was my day off today which meant I could watch a whole Jeremy Kyle show this morning. I've been catching the first 10 mins or so before going to work all week, and thinking how I didn't want to go to work and watch people arguing instead, it had been a pretty juicy week, what I saw of it anyway, so I was pretty excited. What would Jezza have for me today? A tearaway teen who does heroin and is, like, so out of control? A man who beats seven shades of shit out of his girlfriend and wonders why she walked out on him? A woman who wasn't sure if the father of her child was her cousin or her brother?
No. I got fucking "We'll Never Know Why Our Children Ended Their Own Lives." and possibly the most depressing, upsetting and horrifying half hour of my televisual life as, first thing in the morning, I watched a man and a woman talk about how all 3 of their children commited suicide. Yeah, cheers for that. I love the smell of unbearable grief and uncontrolable tears in the morning.

On a lighter note, I am about to listen to the Sickoakes album again. It will be the first time I've listened to an album 3 times in one day since I first got Roni Size/Reprazent's New Forms album about 9 or 10 years ago, even though I've had it for quite a while now. I really can't recommend it highly enough, it makes me feel like a kid again. Sure, it's a bunch of guys who've just listened to Godspeed... and thought "Yeah, lets do that!", but Godspeed... aren't about to do a new album any fucking time soon, and Sickoakes do the job extremely fucking well. It may even take the crown for my favourite album of 2006. Yes I'm still trying to sort out a list. I know I should just not bother with it now, what with it being March 2007 and all, but it's become a little obsession in the Axl brain now. I have to work out a top 10, and I'm gonna bore the shit out of you all with it until I do.

Peace out bredren and sistren.

No comments: