Thursday 3 February 2011

Ferment Zine.























So, somehow I forgot to put on here how I'm sort of the editor of a magazine now.
It's a zine I do with two other people (my friends James and Sarah).
What we do is come up with a theme, give that to writers, and then give what they write to illustrators who draw up artwork to go with the poem or short story they've been given.
Anyway, the first issue's been out since about mid-December, and we're working on the second issue now, which we hope to have out in mid-March.
The print run for each issue is 100 copies.
We've had a lot of very positive reaction, but frustratingly that hasn't translated into sales. Yet. I think we've sold just over half of the copies we printed up.
I think this is, at least partly, due to the fact that we made a free pdf download available simultaneously. I think for the next issue we're thinking we'll only do that when we've sold out of physical issues. We do, after all, live in a world now where people seem to feel they are entitled to obtain someone else's work for free, so if that option is there, then that is of course what people will go for.
We're thinking of charging for the pdf while physical copies are still in stock, just in case people really don't want a physical copy that much. Shame, but that's how it is nowadays. God, saying that makes me feel old.

Anyway, please check out our zine over at http://fermentzine.com/
It is something that we are incredibly proud of.

No comments: