Saturday 11 September 2010

The Other Day...

...I heard someone knocking at my front door. I opened it to see a man with a cardboard box that had a collection of change in it.

Man At Door: "Would you be interested in donating to charity, yes or no?
Me: "Errrrrrrrrrrrr..."
MAD: "I'm collecting for a children's charity. If you have any change even just one or two pounds, it would be very much appreciated."
Me: "Errrr... Let me see what I've got."
I opened my little change purse to find I had 62p. I took it out.
"I've got 62p. You can have that."
MAD: "No, keep it. Keep it for if you are out and you need it for parking or something."
Leaves.

Now, there are a few things that strike me as odd about this. One is the fact that his cardboard box just had "COLLECTION FOR CHILDRENS CHARITY" written on it in a marker pen. Another is that he didn't tell me what the charity was or what it did, but most of all, what I find most odd about the whole thing, is that in spite of all this really quite dodgy stuff, I was willing to give him money, and he refused to take it! Now, I don't know about any of you, but whenever I've dealt with people collecting change for charity, they will take whatever you can give them and are generally pretty happy that you're willing to give anything at all in the first place. I have never had a donation of change turned down because it wasn't enough.

So, what the Hell is with that? Anybody? Something dodgy going on, or is he just a very odd man?

No comments: